The 411 on Fiber - 9 Facts for Healthy Living
It’s so important to know the 411 on Fiber
It’s crazy to think that something our body can’t fully digest can be so healthy. A high-fiber diet has been shown to prevent constipation and lower cholesterol levels. High-fiber foods also ten to have more nutrients and less calories. They also digest slowly which help keep us full. But that’s not all folks…
We always hear that you need to fiber in your daily diet. But where most of are not fully educated on is how much you need as well as where to get the best, most powerful sources of Fiber. The trouble is, you need to get enough, but too much can also be a problem.
According to the institute of medicine and the recommendations from the U.S. government 2015-2020 dietary guidelines we are supposed to be eating 25-30 grams per day and Americans are only eating half of that at 12-17 grams.
Here is a list of all the facts you need to know to meet your health needs:
- It helps you stay full longer
- There are two types: Soluble and Insoluble (You need both types for good health)
- It can only be found in plant based foods
- Organic sources are the best
- Slowly increase fiber when adding to your diet
- Helps manage diabetes
- Too much can cause health issues cramping, malabsorption, constipation, and in the worst case, intestinal blockage
- Creates good bacteria in the body
- Men require more than women to maintain healthy weight